Sunday, January 12, 2014

Family Room Refresher




I've been working on refreshing the furniture in our family room for a while now...
I started this project last February and it should have been pretty simple.
Recover the sofa and chairs and get some new pillows.
I've done it before.  
In fact, I had recovered the sofa and chairs in question three times before, over the last 25 years.  
Three times.  
But they were well made and had held up nicely.

I set off to find new fabric at one of my favorite fabric sources, 
Walter E Smithe Furniture, a Chicago area store 
and the same store where I had purchased the sofa and chairs those 25 years ago.
I might just be getting old.
There I met Barb, sales lady extrordinaire, and we got busy selecting fabrics.
Then I spotted a sofa on their showroom floor that I really liked.
And some fabric that I loved.  Boom.  New sofa time.

Here it is, begging for some pillows.



Here's the back view of the new sofa.  
I really like the lines, and you see them when you enter the room.



Here's a side view of the new sofa, showing one of the old chairs too.
I was going to recover them to coordinate with the new green fabric on the sofa, 
but they just didn't work.
Just kinda frumpy.




Barb to the rescue again.  Time for some new chairs.  
Voila!  



Remember the old chairs?



And now the new chairs-


You can see how much Burly likes them.

The next challenge was to find fabric for new pillows for the sofa and chairs.  
Not easy.
Apparently my colors are not gray or beige or "greige".
That would have been too easy.
It's hard to find clear colors these days. 

 My first choice was an absolutely gorgeous fabric that tied the sofa and chair fabric together perfectly.
   Another small problem.  $350.00 a Yard!!!  
Not happening.  
People will actually use these pillows... 
  

Anyway, months went by, life kept happening and I made no progress.
Then I finally found some great textured gold pillows from Bed, Bath and Beyond 
to layer with this more reasonably priced, printed linen fabric. 





And then I happened upon this little green petal pillow at Pier One 
while shopping there with Darling Daughter. 



Finally!  
Done. 



I like the mix of colors and textures and patterns 
and the pop of the petal pillow is really fun.





I had these little lumbar pillows made out of a piece of fabric 
I had bought several years ago, for no good reason, simply because I could not resist it.  



So soft and fluffy, like a cozy sweater.  
They work on the gold chairs, and I love the texture.




And here's a peek at a quilt I just finally finished last week 
when the high temperatures here were -15*,  for several days in a row.  
Nothing to do but sit with a warm quilt in my lap. 


I also made a baby quilt for a special little baby girl last week, too.
More on that after I have mailed it to her happy family...

Stay warm.


Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo
Be Inspired at Common Ground
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Really, really love the new sofa! Perfect . . . and the chairs too! You have a touch Erin . . . taste, style, charm, comfort . . . you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the color and lines of that sofa. What a pretty choice, the whole room looks so charming and warm. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love that pillow with the petals!

    Happy day to you!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so pretty! I like the new sofa, as you said the lines are really nice, and I like the color too. Congrats on such a pretty room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful sofa and living room! Wonderful pillows which add a touch of charm in the whole atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pillows are so beautiful! Love the color of your sofa, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!