Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Before and After * Scallopy Shelf Project




Here is a mini Before and After project!  Just shows what a little paint can do.


I had my eye on this black wall cabinet in an antique shop near our cottage in Michigan for a while.  
I love the bonnet style top and the grooved paneled back and the little drawers and the scallopy sides. 
I'm a complete sucker for anything scallopy!   
I finally broke down and bought it, because every room needs a little black, so they say.

Sadly, the lighthouse collection did not come with the cabinet.  I did lust after the scallopy little gold dresser right below it, though...



I brought it straight to our cottage and leaned it against the wall where I thought it would go.   OOOPS!

 Too big and too black.  Kind of hulking over the room.  
I tried it on several other walls and it still didn't work.  
Time for some paint therapy.  



I am eternally grateful to those generous and talented folks who are organized enough to take Before, During and After photos of all of their projects and share the details online.  
They constantly inspire and motivate me.  
I have learned so much from these wonderful people.  
However, for this simple project, I will spare you the real time, "Here is how I applied the white paint" part of the Before to After process- you're all smart - you know what to do.
Plus, I did not take any "During" photos...
Here is the after:


I found a place for it after all, and the crisp white paint makes it work for me.
I am still looking for two perfect, vintage knobs for the little drawers.  
These will work in the meantime.


Thanks, Mom, for the gorgeous aqua Blenko carafe and the ruffle edge aqua bowl- 
we have always loved so many of the same things. 

And just for fun, here is the Before picture of this same wall - 
the Brady Bunch fireplace used to warm this corner.  
I miss those drapes and the paneling and the fine masonry.
:^)


Stay tuned for more grand transformations!


Linking up to:
Not Just a Housewife

Link Party
Linking to Miss Mustard Seed
Linking to Savvy Southern Style

Link Party


 
Link Party 
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. the shelves look great painted white with the touches of aqua! stopping by from miss mustard.
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from BetterAfter! I LOVE what you've done with this makeover. But I'm so curious what you did with the old retro fireplace. I can see it clearly doesn't suit your decor taste, but I'm sure there are people that would die for that! I love the retro look. Please tell me someone salvaged it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did find a new owner for the retro fireplace, as well as the windows, bathtub, kitchen sink and old cabinets! I tried very hard not to throw away anything with any possible value. The windows went to a couple who buy old barns and salvage the wood. Some of the furniture in the cottage was made for me by them in a swap for the windows! Win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I'm so glad you had to paint it white because it looks terrific!

    I'd love for you to link it up at my linky party happening now!
    http://www.blah2beautiful.blogspot.com/2012/01/linky-party.html
    --Katie
    Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation! Even nicer with a touch of aqua. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in your sitting room and how you have staged the shelf! A new follower, andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love-love-loooove this and your whole house (from what I can see of it)! I am your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome transformation Erin! Such a pretty room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have simply charming taste. Looking forward to crafting and creating with you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!