Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Beach Balls Made of Ice!



Get your jacket on and come along with me 
to see beach balls made of ice on the shores of Lake Michigan.


I know it's April, but its been a long, long winter 
and the ice has just recently broken up along the coast of the lake.  
I have read about the phenomena of ice balls forming on the beach 
and I had to go see it for myself.


The frozen edges of the Great Lakes are absolutely otherwordly.


These "mountains" of ice form every year along the coast.
They are very dangerous to climb on, but very compelling to explore.


The action of the wind and the waves creates a churning, sloshing cauldron 
of bone chillingly cold water
that spews out globules of ice in infinite sizes.


It's pretty darn amazing.



My faithful dog, Burly was happy to come along.



To see her romp around on the beach and clamber over the ice
is to see JOY in it's purest form.  
She is in heaven when she is at the beach.
Come to think of it, so am I....



But I digress.

These photos offer a glimpse of the amazing, majestic power and beauty of the Great Lakes.
I was captivated by the sparkling, splashing water
and took endless pictures trying to capture it.


Always changing, always astonishing.

The waves were roaring and the wind was powerful.
It was fascinating to see.



These aren't rocks, they're balls of ice!






A view to the south, showing the other side of the ice "mountains".



We had a great day, Burly and me.
We never saw another soul on the beach.  The solitude is remarkable.
I'm so grateful to have this place to visit and to share.


Back up the dune, or BuzzKill Hill as we like to call it.




One last glance back before we go inside to warm up.



Truly, Just Grand!


Linking to:
Inspire Me Monday at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Through Life
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Erin, I'm in total shock and awe! What a sight to see, one I've never ever seen before! Balls made of ice, I'm just not beliveing it! I love the shots of the sparkling and splashing water!! I would have been jumping up and down with joy to ge those kind of incredible shots! Way to go and what a day for you and lucky Burly!! You are indeed lucky to have that place near you, what a place to roam and relfect and relax, it's totally magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, spell check did not work quick enough, ha, that brain of mine! I was typing so fast, in my excitement!! Did not want to delete and start over! Shhh, don't tell my spelling teacher!

      Delete
  2. Erin, I so enjoyed this post. I did a post several years ago on this same topic. I'd never seen anything like this, but a friend who lives on Lake Ontario had sent me photos. If you'd like to see my friend's photos you'll find them in the archives on my sidebar, January 22, 2011. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos. I would love to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Excellent photos, Erin. I've never seen iceballs. Looks so awesome. Won't be too much longer and you will be really enjoying your time at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - I love Lake Michigan in all the seasons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos.Thanks for allowing us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said it, "Truly Just*Grand!"
    I wonder if this is a phenomena happening in your little curve of the Big Lake. I have not seen this up the coast in our area. Very interesting and lovely . . . in one breath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always amazed at the beauty that God displays. I had the opportunity to visit the Great Lakes a few years back and didn't take it. I could just kick myself now. Hope I get the chance to visit again and this time go see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your beautiful photos...this is magnificent scenery! And your dog is a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin...you photos are amazing!! I had heard about the ice balls but had not gotten the chance to go to the lake for a visit. I'm surprised that you took these photos in April too! Although we finally got some warm weather last week they may have since melted. Regardless your photos are spectacular! Where on the lake did you capture this beauty? I grew up in Muskegon and spent countless hours at the lake. All along the West Michigan lakeshore it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Kim's party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ice balls are amazing and you got some great shots. We live in Ontario and I was surprised that the lake at the cottage was still completely frozen over when we went up for Easter weekend. It is only early spring around here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!