Saturday, May 26, 2012

Book Club Dinner



I hosted our Book Club Dinner this week 
and I thought you might like to see the pictures...
Come along with me.

Dinner was served on the porch.
It was a perfect evening.  Not too hot, not too cold.
It was still daylight when my friends arrived
and the gardens around the porch were in full bloom.

 I am so grateful to have the kind of friends that appreciate 
the efforts we make for each other! 




These fabulous peonies are from my sweet, generous friend Alice, 
whose fantastic gardens will be the subject of an upcoming post.  
Thank you, Alice.  
These are beyond gorgeous!



I set the table with some spring green favorites.



I just picked up these Moss Green Seneca Driftwood tumblers
at the Kane County Flea market this month-
I needed them the instant I saw them and I got them for a song.
I had a very strong sense of deja vu about them
 and I am pretty sure we must have had these in our house growing up.  
Any of my bros remember these?



I absolutely love them.  
I loved everything about the 70's and these take me right back.



The sterling candle holders belonged to my Mom.  
They graced her dining room table for years.



The china was Mom's. too.  All Haviland and Limoges.
The white plates were her wedding pattern 
and the delicate green floral plates were her mother's.
Sometimes it's actually good to be the only daughter...



The menu was simple and all done ahead so I could enjoy the time with my guests.
Dessert was simple, too. Mandarin Brownies and Chewy Lemon Cookies.
The brownies are made from a mix, but I add a teaspoon of orange oil to them 
for a chocolate orange flavor - my all time favorite chocolate combo.
 I made the lemon cookies from a recipe I saw on a blog- they were deeelicious!
I will definitely make these again!




In this picture, you can see the honeysuckle vines climbing up the porch column on the far left.
They are in full bloom and very fragrant.



Here's the honeysuckle vine along the path.



Close up.


These are so intricate and so beautiful!




As the sun began to set, my friends clamored to use the remote to turn on the candles...
It's nice to have friends who are such faithful readers!






In summary:





It was a wonderful evening with great friends.
Thanks for joining me!


 Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Thursdays Are Your Days at 52 Mantels
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Mission Possible Great Outdoors Party at It all Started With Paint
Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Home and Garden Thursday at Delightsome Life
Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Transformation Thursdays at Shabby Creek Cottage 
{Living The Width} at TerpBlog 
Vintage Inspiration at Common Ground 
Cottage Garden Party at Fishtail Cottage 
Home Sweet Home at The Charm Of Home 
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Oh, everything looks lovely! You must be so proud of your yard. There is nothing so decadent as peonies. The table setting is so sweet with your pretty china--and I recognized the glasses instantly! I think everyone had them. Using all your special things just makes everything taste better, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely, without a doubt, Grand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dream home! And oh my gosh those peonies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home and garden are just beautiful. I think my mother had those same glasses when we were growing up. I seem to remember hers in an amber color. Now I need to go back and check out those recipes AND the reference to the remote for the candles. :@

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks just beautiful. I absolutely love your walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who wouldn't appreciate visiting your lovely home? Can I join your bookclub? I'm still looking for those remote candles and, when I find them, I'll wow my friends! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are correct that we had these in the house growing up sis. I recall they were a distinct '70's shade of yellow more romantically described as "amber" by Vickie@Ranger911.
    Thom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin - you live beautifully! Just as I remember your mom did as well! I'm loving reading your blog, it brings me back to my years in GE. Love to you and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL! Peonies are my absolute favorite and I am always sad that they don't bloom longer..THanks for stopping by Harrison Home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hosting a brand new link party called {living the width} over at my blog, The Terpblog. The party is focused on intentional living and all types of posts are welcome. I hope you'll link up! Thanks!

    http://theterpblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/new-living-width-volume-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything in these pictures is all so beautiful--I love the tablescape, the flowers, the green glasses! And that pink honeysuckle--perfect! You and your friends must have had a wonderful evening together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you from the terpblog and I am your newest follower. I would have loved to be a guest at your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about your table setting. My grandma had those cups in a smaller highball size. Sadly, we no longer have those cups, but I wish we did! I have her other set-- a taller cut crystal green glass set. But I miss the texture of those driftwoods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erin,

    What a beautiful garden and a beautiful table you set for your book club (and those treats look scrumptious and I'm not just saying that because I'm dieting ... )

    And I love all those beautiful heirloom china pieces and candlesticks from your mother. How special that you can share them with your friends!

    ... so happy you shared with us all at our Great Outdoors link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely dinner on the porch you must of had.
    I just love the peonies, so beautiful
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks so pretty--I'm sure your friends had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO lovely!! I wish I had a space like that in my home!!

    I've pinned this for future tablescape inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to be a guest for dinner! Your table is amazing - love all your vintage pieces (and nice to use things passed down).

    Your peonies are fabulous!

    Glad you joined our Outdoors party.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! The table, the view, it is all so amazing! I will be featuring you tomorrow Thanks for linking up.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Erin, this is such a lovely tablesetting - I love the special, personal touches~ I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday and your post will be featured in this evening's party post!
    Have a great day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Coming via Kathy's blog...I love everything about this post, the BOOK club gathering, the peonies, the vintage pieces , the outdoor setting ...and I am curious about the title of the book and If it deserved such beautiful dinner ?! I know, I know , it is all about enjoying friends ' company :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!