Monday, May 12, 2014

The New Cabinets are Here! The New Cabinets are Here!



They're heeeeere!
The new cabinets have arrived and they are gorgeous!




The last three weeks have been very busy around here, but there was nothing pretty to show you.
All of the prep work- demo, new walls, electric, plumbing, drywall and floor work is done.  
All of it nece$$ary, none of it fun.

Our contractor, Doug Funk of Spengler Homes 
has done an amazing job of coordinating the project, with precision timing that makes my head spin. 
The drywall was finished on Friday and the cabinets were delivered today.
Installation starts tomorrow!!!!!
That's when the fun really begins.

I have been perusing my favorite sources, Houzz and Homebunch and Georgiana Design 
(you might say I have been obsessed with this) for design inspiration for several years now. 
I have folders and folders of kitchens I love 
but I never had that Aha! moment until I saw this kitchen on Houzz:


What caught my eye, in addition to the layout being very similar to what I was planning
were those gorgeous star mullions in the windows!
I have seen regular mullions like in the cabinets above, and criss cross mullions like in this picture below:


But I've never seen star mullions in the cabinet mullions...
  I could get excited about those. 
I drew up this sketch and Voila! I knew I had my Kitchen Inspiration.




And presto, here they are!



Even prettier than I imagined.

And see those jumbo brackets stacked up in front of the cabinet?
Those are going to be fabulous.
I have always loved brackets in kitchens.
At least ten years ago, I hired Ed Dolan, the entertainment unit surgeon from this post
and creator of many other projects, to make me some chunky brackets to update my old oak kitchen.  
They were beautiful and they added a lot of charm.  
I thought some painted brackets would do the same in the new kitchen. 

These brackets were inspiring

 As were these

Photo from Litchfield Designs

And the kitchen above also has wood panelling for the backsplash, another idea I'm in love with.
I love the old colonial, east coast vibe.  I am from New Jersey, after all...
I'll use stone behind the cooktop, but I'm planning on using 5' wide V groove panelling for the back splash.
I like tile for other people, and other projects, but not for this kitchen.  
It is so open to the family room that I don't think tile works.

You can see some of the V groove panelling inside this cabinet that will be installed over the refrigerator.


I'm trying out the basket thing here...
I want to use baskets and wood to warm up the white.

I love the look of the old wooden cutting boards here-


and here

Both images above from Cote De Texas Blog

For my own twist on this idea, I found this scalloppy cutting board at World Market
(Remember how much I love "scalloppy" things?)
and will lean it up against the panelled backsplash.


And woe to anyone who dares to actually use it!
Do you hear me, Mr. Grand?  It's for decorative purposes only...
I'll get you your own brand new cutting board.

And finally, lighting.
I fell in love with this picture from Houzz 
(along with that adorable little girl)



and I plan to hang three drum shaped burlap pendant lights over my island, 
staggering them in pattern and height.



I have something creative planned to cover the hanging cords...
The electricians were rolling their eyes when I described my idea.
They'll see.

Stay tuned!
It's going to get interesting!

Thanks for visiting.


Linking to:
Inspire Me Monday at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. WOW! The kitchen is going to be spectacular! Love the cabinet design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the after pictures!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! You have the best taste...it's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the star mullions! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen. Your inspiration photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! The star mullions are really unique and will make the cabinets pop. Looking forward to seeing your kitchen when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, I love the cabinets, they are fantastic. Can't wait to see it all done. Gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They will indeed be stunning! Lovely, lovely, lovely....
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love where this is going. You have such splendid ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting Erin . . . such a visionary you are . . . I love it! And look forward to the "everything next!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful, and I can't wait to see the reveal!! Glad I found you at the Savvy Southern Style linky, visiting from C'mon Get Crafty! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!