Monday, December 19, 2011

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree!



My favorite Christmas decoration is our Christmas tree.  
I like swags and wreaths and angels and stars and everything else, but I truly love our Christmas tree the most.  It is densely covered with lights and glass ornaments and it sparkles and glows even on the gloomiest winter days. We light it up first thing in the morning and it stays on til the last of us goes to bed, throughout the Christmas season.  

When I was growing up, I remember my Mom carefully unwrapping her family antique glass ornaments one by one and carefully hanging them on the tree.  They had a patina that was luminous. 

Years ago, we were lucky enough to be invited to a fabulous Christmas party in a Grand vintage colonial on the Lake Michigan shore.  Our hosts had a two story entry filled with a two story tall tree, bedecked in multicolored lights and hundreds and hundreds of shiny glass ornaments - 
the sight of it took my breath away!  

And thus began another collection....


 Here's our tree!

 I made three of the stockings above when our son was very small, and I set aside the rest of the fabric in kind of a hope chest, for when we might have another child... 
Seven years later, I got to make the fourth stocking.  She was worth the wait!


Here is a close-up showing how I hang them so sparingly on the tree...



And some favorite glass ornaments....
Here is Santa arriving in his sleigh:



There are lots of snowmen ornaments.



Love these guys!



 I love Santa ornaments too...


Although this one looks kinda serious...

 

And, surprise, surprise, I have some cottage ornaments...



A Colorful One...



You know it's hard to keep up with the Jones' sometimes...



This jaunty cottage looks like it came straight out of Who-ville!



 This rooster is quite regal.



 This guy is newer, but he reminds me of an old family ornament I remember from my childhood.



Mr. Grand likes to call the squirrels in our yard "Tree Rats"
but they are pretty cute in glass...



 This one makes my mouth water...



 These guys are too cute!



I Believe!



 I make an exception to the glass ornament rule for a select few ornaments.  
There are a few that my kids made- the kind with popsicle sticks and rice krispies - 
you all have those, too, I'm sure.  Precious and so sentimental.
My Mom gave us this set of Wizard of Oz ornaments when we were first married, and they're a charming bunch!  
And timeless.


From our house to yours,
We wish you a Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year!




Linking to:
DIY SHowoff - Showoff Your Christmas Tree


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Erin - what a beautiful tree - sure makes you believe in "the ole man". I have a friend who decorates her tree with handmade ornaments from Switzerland all from wood. Love the candy canes on the tree too! Merry Christmas to Mr. & Mrs. Grand and all the family, A. C.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, it's breathtaking!! I want it for my house! :)

    I'm gladly following your fun blog! Thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A beautiful tree and wonderful ornaments. Merry Christmas! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tree, and such a special collection. We have also been collecting glass ornaments for many years, but the collection has to stay in its boxes with young cats in the house. Soon enough, they will settle in and quit knocking ornaments off the tree, and the fancy glass ones can make a reappearance.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is beautiful! Those glass ornaments and colorful lights are so refreshing to see. Thanks so much for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I popped over from the Christmas tree party & I want you to know that yours was the photo which I had to click on -- your tree looks like a real, beautiful family tree, full of personality and memories. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!