Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beach Glass Bedroom




It's still sunny and hot and summery, darn it, 
and I will not go gentle into that Good Night Fall,
to paraphrase a little Dylan Thomas...

One more Summertime Post before it's all about Fall...

My friend Julie asked me to write a post 
about how to pick a color scheme 
or a theme for a room.
I was puzzled because I guess I just do it naturally 
and she thinks it's very hard.  
But then she's really good at a lot of other things 
that I don't have a clue about...
So I thought I would start with the Master Bedroom at our cottage in Michigan.

"Master" Bedroom seems a little pretentious at the cottage because the room is tiny.
There's room for the essentials and I guess that's enough.

I wanted a watery blue, beach glass soft color palette for the room, 
 to go with the colors in the rest of the cottage.
You can see those rooms here and here and here

Lots of pale blue, aqua and soft green, inspired by the beach setting
on a dune overlooking Lake Michigan.



I knew I did not want to have a lot of kitschy beach decor.
No surfboards or palm trees or mermaids.





Just the soft colors of the beach- sky, water, sand 
and beach glass.


 



The colors in this painting that I scored at a resale shop were perfect for the cottage.

 



 And on this blue Hemnes dresser from Ikea-


 



 a few luminous Ball jars...




And Presto!  
A color scheme.  
Beach glass and Ball jars.


I found the blue plaid fabric at "On the Lounge"
and whipped up some really simple window treatments, on a fluted white rod.





Mr. Grand helped me make this upholstered headboard.  
And then he installed it.
I really like it and that's a good thing 
because it is never, I mean ever, coming off that wall.
Not sure what you call those cleats he used, but it is not going anywhere.





A close up of the bedding.  I love quilts and these two work well together. 
I really like the wavy edge of the white quilt.  
You know, subtle beach theme and all...



 We added the matching nightstands from Ikea 
and a little pillow I made from a scrap of a hydrangea tablecloth 
I picked up at the Kane County Flea Market.





The paint color on the wall is Buoyant Blue 
(SW 6483) from Sherwin Williams.


 



Cute little Dedham Pottery Rabbit box that I have had forever.  


 



 And something for Mr.Grand, who loves to fish.
I printed this fish from the Graphics Fairy website and framed it for his nightstand.
So much beautiful artwork at Graphics Fairy, all for free!


 






A string of fish for his closet door.  
Only because the colors match. 





 I picked this mini chest of drawers up at Homegoods and repainted it to go in this room.
You can see the Before and After here.







 A blue rag rug and a scalloped white bed skirt finish the room.





 Beach glass and Ball jars.









 So, enjoy these last days of summer and store up the memories!

And one more thing about colors...
I, for one, intend to keep wearing my favorite white clothes 
right up until the temperatures drop, even if it's after Labor Day. 
I know, that's scandalous.

What do you say we change that stupid rule?  
I think our daughters already have...

 Thanks for visiting with me!



Linking to:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
September Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick
Cowgirl Up! Link Party at Farmhouse Porch
Get Your Craft On! at Today's Creative Blog
Tutorials and Tips Link Party at Home Stories A 2 Z
Fabulously Creative Friday Linky Party at Jennifer Rizzo
Feather Your Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Potpourri Friday at 2805 
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home 
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now















Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. Erin - just wonderful and beautiful - my favorite colors - very peaceful, meditative, soothing, and cool for this miserable HOT summer! Proud to say your part of the family!
    a.c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Your room has a very cool, calming look to it. Love the upholstered headboard and the IKEA furniture, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! New follower from the bloghop!
    http://pjgraves51.blogspot.com
    http://sewmuchclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rule??? What rule?? I wear whatever I want, whenever I want and weather dictates. Summer is nowhere near over in my neck of the woods. Besides, white is a winter color, too, just like snow, and frost, and ......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blues in your room. Everything looks so pretty and that painting was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room is serene and happy! Love your color combinations!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mood board has come to life! I love the different shades of blue and the pot plant adds that bit of softness. Loving this room so peaceful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful. I love these colors. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it all! We are from Michigan and have spent almost our whole married life vacationing at our folks cottages on Lake Michigan, near Whitehall/Montague area. I new favorite spot is Ludington (my folks sadly sold their place :-() Where is your cottage?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty room! Love the colour on the wall! Your beach glass is gorgeous and I am a big fan of those blue-aqua jars. We are beach people as we live on an Island so I am lovin what you've done here! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love decorating my home in a "beachy" theme for summer. Of course, summers in Southeast Texas last and last and last, so by October, I'm more than ready for fall.

    As for wearing white into the fall months, you bet we wear it as long as we want to in Texas ... and I heard that the fashion gurus have proclaimed it is fashion-appropriate to wear white all year long, so there you have it. No need to feel scandalous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The room looks lovely, what a great place to lay down and take a nap. Also, what a great collection of sea glass. i never find those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The beach glass palette is really nice. The IKEA dresser is the same as mine, but your color is amazing....Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a stunning post! I'm glad your friend asked you to do a post about colours-I have learnt so much. Summer is almost upon us here in Australia so your post's timing was perfect for me!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully done, Erin! You used all of my favorite colors - at my most favorite place....Lake Michigan. :) Your beach house is truly a work of art and a reflection of your many talents in style and decor. I love it all!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's stunning! Thank you for sharing your creative project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blue is so soothing. The IKEA chest is a fabulous find. I spotted it, and immediately thought it was a high end piece. I am a new follower, and look forward to seeing more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the room especially wall color & blue-aqua colored things. Your beach house is a master work!

    - Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful - such a lovely room!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this!! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am featuring this today at HSH! So pretty!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just the right amount of everything sea in this room, lovely, Aloha Raliegh

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Erin. I found your blog from The Charm of Home blog hop. I absolutely LOVE your little Michigan cottage! Your blue bedroom is adorable!!! I also love those colors of the water and seaglass!! I'm a new follower, as I have similar interests to yours. My hubby and I recently moved full-time into a cottage on a lake in northern Indiana. Check out my blot, if you get a chance!(http://cairncottage.blogspot.com/)
    Ann
    “Better joy in a cottage than sorrow in a palace” Spanish Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  24. My scandalous friend :), I adore everything about this welcoming room...not that you want to welcome too many people into your master bedroom. Everything about this room is tranquil, calm and beautiful. What a lovely glimpse into your cabin.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated!
Thank you so much!